- Cognitive Outcomes of Flow Diversion Treatment for Unruptured Intracranial Aneurysms
- Letter of Intent
- Grant Guidelines
- Grant Application
- Grant Recipients
- Joe Niekro Research Grant
- Joe Niekro Humanitarian of the Year Award
- Joe Niekro Patient’s Choice Award
The Joe Niekro Foundation is committed to supporting patients and aiding in the research and treatment of brain aneurysms, AVM’s and hemorrhagic strokes. Our goal is to raise awareness about the risk factors, causes and treatments of these conditions, while helping support the advancement of neurological research. We provide public education and advocacy, support for patients and families, and develop awareness programs and educational materials for hospitals, clinics and other institutions nationwide.
Eligibility & Types of Support
The Joe Niekro Foundation funding is provided to US organizations only; individuals will not be considered. There are no pre-determined funding amounts; each application is reviewed separately.
1. Submit a Letter of Inquiry
2. Accepted Letters of Inquiry will be asked to complete a formal application
3. Applications are reviewed by The Joe Niekro Foundation Medical Advisory Board and The Joe Niekro Foundation Board of Directors.
4. The Board of Directors determines which projects will be funded by a majority vote.
Letter of Inquiry
The first step in applying to the foundation is a short letter of inquiry (“LOI”). Letters may be submitted at any time during the year, however the review process will only be in September. LOI’s should be no more than two pages in length and should include the following:
- A brief statement about the purpose of the proposed project and how it is relevant to the JNF mission
- Goals and objectives of the proposed project
- Funding amount requested and basic budget
- Documentation of any substantially similar studies, and how the project differs from those studies
- Project timeline and plan for evaluating results
- Any preliminary data that supports the hypothesis being tested or the objective
- Other financial support secured for the project, if any
- Tax status of your organization
- Background and credentials of key personnel. This may be submitted in a separate document. If the information is submitted in the form of a curriculum vitae, the Letter of Intent or CV should note the individuals’ roles in the project.
We try to acknowledge the receipt of all letters of inquiry. If you do not receive a response to your LOI within 60 days after sending your letter, feel free to contact the Foundation.
Full proposals will be accepted by invitation only. Please submit a paper copy of The Joe Niekro Foundation Application, as well as an emailable version to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be considered, the proposal must be complete, including all attachments, by the deadline of November 1st.
The foundation may request additional information in writing from applicants. We might also consult with persons knowledgeable about the proposed activities and may request to meet with the applicants.
Completed applications will be discussed at the foundation’s 4th quarter board meeting and applicants will be notified of the board’s decision to approve or deny a grant within two weeks following this meeting. If a grant is awarded, you will be asked to sign a Grant Agreement that lays out reporting and other requirements.
We strongly encourage applicants to send letters of inquiry well in advance of LOI deadlines.
- LOI must be received by July 31st, 2018 (not postmarked)
- Invitations to submit full proposals, and initial declinations, will be sent by: September 25th, 2018
- Full proposals are due by: September 1st, 2018
- Grant decision meetings are held in the month of December 2018
- Notice of grant award or declination will be sent by January 1st, 2019
Please send letters of inquiry/applications by email to email@example.com and by mail to:
The Joe Niekro Foundation
630 E 53rd St S.
Muskogee, OK 74403
Letter of Inquiry Review
Grantee or project eligibility determination
- Does the applicant fit the foundation’s giving guidelines?
- Does this LOI fit within the foundation’s areas of interest?
- If not, is there any special reason to consider this LOI?
- Should the foundation invite the applicant to submit a full proposal?
- The program fills a need that is not currently or adequately addressed.
- The request fits the foundation’s mission.
- The organization is financially sound.
- Is the organization capable of implementing and sustaining the program in terms of:
- ☐ adequate funding
- ☐ staff
- ☐ organizational infrastructure and technology
- ☐ experience & knowledge
- ☐ community support
- The request exhibits high quality and stands out.
- There are opportunities to match or leverage the foundation’s funds.
- The project fits the geographical and cultural environment.
- The timeline for accomplishing the goals is realistic.
- The applicant is willing and able to select, collect and report on impact criteria.
- We have the ability to make an impact with this grant.
Connect with Us
- Subscribe to our Knuckle-Up Newsletter
- Become a Fan on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- Follow us on Instagram
- Join our Online Aneurysm/AVM Support Group
- Join our Online Parents Support Group
- Join our Online Young Adult Survivor’s Support Group
- Join our Online Aneurysm/AVM Caregivers Support Group
- Join our Online Honoring the Taken Support Group
- Support Group Locations