- Joe Niekro Foundation Support Groups
- Patient / Survivor Stories
- What to Expect
Joe Niekro Foundation Support Groups
“A support group can be life saving for a patient and family during their critical recovery period. I have been amazed by the commitment, the diligence and camaraderie of their members. I have been deeply impressed by the benefit my patients and their families have received by interacting with others who have survived the same ordeal. I salute the organizers of The Joe Niekro Foundation™ for all the good that they do, and am deeply grateful for the benefit my patients have received because of their efforts.”
Dr. Robert F. Spetzler
Director, Barrow Neurological Institute
Chairman and President, Barrow Neurosurgical Associates
Professor of Surgery, Section of Neurosurgery, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ
Why Become Part of A Support Group
Social support is exceptionally important in the recovery process and social isolation is considered to be a risk factor for a poor outcome after having a Brain Aneurysm/AVM/Hemorrhagic Stroke. Most hospitals do not offer patients and families ongoing support and rehabilitation for these conditions post discharge. It is our goal to bridge the gap and encourage collaboration, resulting in a more comprehensive support program for survivors and their families.
Our meetings address issues such as depression, social reintegration, coping with disabilities, nutritional brainpower, exercising your brain and much more. JNF empowers members by offering information and emotional support, which is monumental in promoting good health and an improved quality of life. The Joe Niekro Support Groups can play a vital role for both survivor and family members by providing emotional and moral support. Members of support groups receive help by learning new coping strategies, relating personal experiences, obtaining information from health professionals and establishing social networks. JNF Support Groups help others realize that recovery is possible and designed to motivate attendees to follow wellness plans and make a difference in the community while creating a forum of mutual acceptance, understanding and self – discovery.
Benefits Received from Attending Support Groups:
- Support groups empower people to work to solve their own problems.
- Members act as role models for each other. Seeing others who are contending with the same adversity and making progress in their lives is inspiring and encouraging.
- Among people who are experiencing similar problems, there is a unique emotional identification that is different from the type of support that can be gotten from professionals.
- A support group is a safe place for someone who needs to talk about intensely personal issues, experiences, struggles, and thoughts.
- Talking to a counselor or doctor can be very intimidating for some people, because those relationships tend to place more power with the professional. In a support group, members are equals; this can make people feel much more comfortable opening up about their problems.
The sense of shared experience is worth participating in a support group. When you meet with others who have endured the same struggle or have suffered the same health conditions, you’re encouraged. You discover your issues are not unique. Other people understand exactly what you’re going through. You’re one of a group, rather than one of a kind.
JNF Support Group Locations
JNF Online Support Groups
Brain Aneurysm/AVM Support Group sponsored by The Joe Niekro Foundation
Parents of Brain Aneurysm/AVM Children Support Group sponsored by The Joe Niekro Foundation
Young Adult Brain Aneurysm/AVM Survivors Group sponsored by The Joe Niekro Foundation
Brain Aneurysm/AVM Caregiver Support Group sponsored by The Joe Niekro Foundation
Connect with Us
- Become a Fan on Facebook
- Join our Online Aneurysm/AVM Support Group
- Join our Online Parents Support Group
- Join our Online Young Adult Survivor’s Support Group
- Join our Online Aneurysm/AVM Caregivers Support Group
- Support Group Locations
- Follow us on Twitter
- Subscribe to our You Tube Channel
- Subscribe to our Blog
- Subscribe to our Knuckle-Up Newsletter
- Follow us on Instagram
- Find us on Pinterest
- Follow us on Google Plus