Headquartered and Incorporated in Scottsdale, AZ, the Joe Niekro Foundation provides patient services and education across the US, as well as funds critical research through our JNF Grant and our localized grants in the Phoenix and Houston areas.
The Joe Niekro Foundation™ is committed to supporting patients and families, research, treatment and awareness of Brain Aneurysms, AVMs and Hemorrhagic Strokes. We provide education on the risk factors, causes and treatments of these conditions, while funding the advancement of neurological research.
The following staggering statistics validate the critical need for support, awareness and research funding:
- There are currently 6 million people in the US who have an unruptured brain aneurysm
- Every 18 minutes an aneurysm ruptures
- 50% of ruptured aneurysm patients will die instantly
- Of the remaining 50%, half will suffer a delayed death and remaining survivors will likely suffer severe brain deficits
- Women, more than men, are documented to suffer from brain aneurysms at a ratio of 3:2.
- As many as 1 in 15 people will develop a brain aneurysm or AVM
- The average age of an AVM rupture is 17 years old
- More than 50% of people with an AVM will have an intracranial hemorrhage
- Hemorrhagic Strokes account for 15% of all strokes (approximately 120,000 each year)
- Hemorrhagic Strokes are responsible for more than 30% of all stroke deaths
Although the JNF is a national organization, we strive to give the vitally needed support through locally led support groups. A strong support network is an important part of adjusting to living as a Brain Aneurysm, Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM) or Hemorrhagic Stroke survivor, or being a caregiver to one of these patients.
Social support is essential to the recovery process because social isolation can greatly reduce patient recovery and outcomes after suffering any one of these conditions. Many hospitals just are not equipped to offer patients and families ongoing support and rehabilitation post discharge. It is our goal to help bridge the gap and encourage collaboration to provide a comprehensive support program for survivors and their families. JNF Support Groups provide a safe haven for patients, families, friends and caregivers to be among others in similar situations where they can share their fears, challenges, successes and failures in an atmosphere where they are loved and accepted by all.
The Joe Niekro Foundation™ will continue the fight but we need supporters such as you to win. We invite you to become a part of our team, a team fighting each and every day to make a difference in the lives of thousands affected by these fatal conditions. We hope you will ride this journey with us as we continue to take The Joe Niekro Foundation™ global.
The Joe Niekro Foundation
26780 N. 77th St.
Scottsdale, AZ 85266
Connect with Us
- Subscribe to our Knuckle-Up Newsletter
- Become a Fan on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- Follow us on Instagram
- Join our Online Aneurysm/AVM Support Group
- Join our Online Parents Support Group
- Join our Online Young Adult Survivor’s Support Group
- Join our Online Aneurysm/AVM Caregivers Support Group
- Join our Online Honoring the Taken Support Group
- Support Group Locations